Please visit the Pitts Pens store for all your hockey and Penguins gear

Yard leader

yard badge

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thoughts from Tampa Bay game

Well, the game was played like I expected it. It featured quick action, lots of scoring chances, and the Pens got killed by the 2 players I mentioned in the pros and cons post as being Penguin killers. Here are some random thoughts...


  • I imagine the talk shows and message boards will be lit up with the bench Fleury demands. I am a huge Fleury fan. I believe this guy is the franchise goalie and the Pens will live or die with his performance. However, I gotta admit, he is not playing good. Giving up the 1st goal on his first shot faced again is not acceptable. The 2nd goal, in my opinion, was pretty soft as well. Sure, he did make some key saves later in the game including the penalty shot, but the consistency just isnt there at this point. So you have 2 sides to an argument. One could say, put Fleury back in there Friday. Let him try to get some flow to his game. The other side is bench him. He is potentially costing the Pens points in the standings and Johnson is clearly outplaying him at this point. Which side am I on? I say you gotta ride the hot hand right now, especially against division rival Philadelphia friday.
  • The power play again struggled. Coming into this season, the power play was one area Coach Bylsma stressed needed improvement. Mike Yeo, who coached the power play the last few couple seasons,  is gone so we cant blame him anymore. The Pens have a new look to the power play. They move guys around more and have adapted a "rover" player. All these changes to this point have not translated to goals. I think the power play does "look" better. So many times last season the pp looked out of sync and often times the Pens couldnt even get set up in the offensive zone. This year, they get established but they still dont shoot the puck enough. This is basic stuff. Throw the puck at the net, get some scrambles, and get some dirty goals!
  • What can I say about Marty St Louis? I dont know why but this guy is one of my most disliked players in the league. Some guys you just dont like. There is no real reason for this other than, I guess, he always seems to kill the Pens. 
  • One player I am liking more and more is Derek Engelland. I believe he is underrated defensively and the grit he brings can impact a game. 
  • Hopefully Kris Letang is ok. He took a puck off the hand/wrist area last night. He did return to the game. Letang is really moving into prime time this year. Offensively and defensively.
  • Aaron Asham made his debut last night. I really didnt notice him much, which isnt a good thing. Asham should be one of those players you notice because he is disrupting the other team. When you dont notice him, he is not playing good. Ill give him a break though since it was his first action of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment