Please visit the Pitts Pens store for all your hockey and Penguins gear

Yard leader

yard badge

Monday, October 25, 2010

Ahh, back to normal...random Penguins news

After a pretty rough week of work and personal business, this week should be back to normal! Since my last in depth post, the Pens played 2 very good games, one an OT win and one an OT loss. Both games featured intense edge of your seat play. Unfortunately, I didnt get to see much of the Nashville game but caught most of the Blues game on DVR. I'll tell you what, for a 0-0 regulation game, that was very fun to watch. It's too bad we ended up losing and from Brent Johnsons reaction, he wishes he had that one back. So here are some random news bites.....
  • Yesterday was the 1st practice since the regular season began that all roster players participated in. This is great news. Asham, Staal, Orpik, and Michalek were all dressed and took in all drills.
  • Michalek continues to make improvement. I have been liking the way the defense has been playing. Lovejoy, I think, has been getting better every game and I really like the intenseness and toughness that Engelland brings. Unfortunatley, it will probably be him that is the odd man out when Michalek comes back. Dont get me wrong, Michalek is far superior in defense but I am going to miss watching Engelland play. His fight against Orr instantly made me a fan. In case you missed it, here is a video.
  • As Asham prepares to make his regular season debut Wednesday, I find myself wondering where he fits in. In todays Post Gazette there is an article on this. Coach Bylsma has not determined where Asham will play and has him penciled in basically everywhere. Is Asham a top 6 forward? I dont know. Do you bump Comrie and give Asham a shot? Maybe. 
  • Speaking of Comrie, I was very excited to see him in the preseason and was in the crowd of people who thought the Pens got a steal with this guy. It's still early and Comrie is known as streaky but I would like to see some more fire and smarts with this guy. I see him losing a lot of battles and making some bad passes that leads to turnovers. When Staal comes back, Comrie may be the odd man out on the 2nd line because.........
  • The Trib is reporting Mark Letestu has been taking drills on wing in anticipation of Staal returning. We already know the plan is to have Staal center Malkin. But who will be on the other side? With Letestu's 4 goals, 7 points and 2 game winners, how can you demote this kid? One thing we have heard, even before this season, is how Bylma loves his versatility and hockey smarts. What a lift it would be if he can transform into a legitimate top 6 winger!
  • How about the baby Pens starting out red hot! I will try to post an in depth look at the team later in the day or week.

No comments:

Post a Comment