Please visit the Pitts Pens store for all your hockey and Penguins gear

Yard leader

yard badge

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Penguins Flyers aftermath

It started off ugly and ended ugly. Fights, penalties, stoppages of play. This game started off with all the flair that has been the Penguins Flyers rivalry. It ended rather ugly as well, with the Pens going 0-6 on the power play and losing 3-2. Here's some random thoughts after watching last nights game....


  • I've been having patience with the pp. I was willing to give it a chance. There's a new coach in charge of the pp and a new scheme. I wanted to give it a shot before I gave up on it. But this is just plain bad. It's time to get to basics. Put Malkin on the right side circle where he can unleash that wicked one timer. If the coach wants a rover, let Crosby handle those duties. Keep the D on the blue line. 
  • After the 2 fights to start the game, the game really got bogged down by whistles, offsides, and play stoppages. It actually turned into a hard to watch, frustrating game. By the 3rd period, I was extremely frustrated with the action
  • I am not impressed with Ashams first two games. I will still cut him a break since his injury, but I have not seem anything physical to his play. As a matter of fact, I thought I saw a couple times where he actually pulled up on hits. He is not very valuable unless he is throwing his body around. To his credit, he did have a nice shift late in the game where he, Talbot, and I believe Kennedy controlled the puck. 
  • Deryk Engelland...I've been hyping this kid in my posts and I continue to be impressed. He took on another established tough guy in Shelly last night and again came out the winner. He also has been playing pretty good defense. He has not been a liability out there. He is making a push for more playing time and will make it tough when Michalek comes back. Ben Lovejoy better step up his game or he may see Engelland blow right past him.
  • Paul Martin has not been having a very good stretch of games. He is regularly getting caught up ice and being in the wrong position. 
  • The players held a post game meeting last night. Hopefully a few guys got called out.
  • Crosby and Malkin again held to no goals. These guys are the stars. They get paid to produce and right now, they arent.
  • Speaking of Malkin, he left the game in the 3rd period last night. The last play I saw of him was when he got hit behind the net. No word on any injury at this time.
Well, there is no time to dwell too much, the Pens move on to Carolina tonight and face off with the Hurricanes at 7pm. I will try to get a pros and cons preview up sometime today.



http://pittspens.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment