Please visit the Pitts Pens store for all your hockey and Penguins gear

Yard leader

yard badge

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Penguins random thoughts

Here are some random thoughts on what I've seen from the Pens so far through 2 games

Paul Martin...He does appear to be very smooth in transition. I like the way he clears the puck and he seems to have a very good first pass out of the zone. He also is good on positioning (except the one Flyers goal the other night, but I would put that more on Letangs pass)

Eric Tangradi...
I really hope he does not get sent down when Asham returns. He may need some polishing but he will benefit more staying up and playing with Malkin and Comrie. This line has huge potential and I'm liking what I see from it.

I've never been one to go overboard with the "Get Sid some wings" stuff, BUT I am kinda starting to feel bad for him. Sure Kunitz doesnt mind going into the corners. Sure last year Dupuis scored 18. But neither one of them are consistent finishers or have the hockey sense to be playing with Sid. I'm not sure where Kunitz would go. I would like the 2nd line to stay in tact and the 3rd line already has more candidates than positions. To be honest, I dont much care what they do with Dupuis. That may sound harsh but I just dont think this guy is any good. I really dont care about the 18 he scored last year. It should have been 30 with all the chances Crosby creates for him. It's becoming painfully obvious, albeit we are only 2 games into the season, that Crosby needs some new blood on his line. Bring up Brett Sterling!!!!(just kidding!!)

I'm not going to judge Michalek but he has not been in very good position for a number of plays. He is currently last on the team with a +/- of -3 after 2 games

I wonder what is going on with Asham. Reports are its a shoulder injury but I haven't heard anything official from the Pens.

I am still impressed with Goligoski and Kennedy so far. Goligoski finished a +1 tonight and an assist. He appears to be playing with confidence and his decisions with the puck seem much better. Kennedy seems to have simplified his game and got back to what got him here. That is speed, energy, and creating distractions that can turn into scoring opportunities.

The Power Play...0-7 tonight. Not good numbers at all, although one goal came just seconds after a PP expired. I do like the looks they have. I like the movements but they gotta shoot the puck and hope for some ugly goals now and then.

Overall, I know the Pens are fine. They may need a little tweak here or there but who doesnt this time of year. Should be another good one Monday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment