Please visit the Pitts Pens store for all your hockey and Penguins gear

Yard leader

yard badge

Sunday, September 19, 2010

How the passion all started

For my first few posts, I figured I would tell you a few things about me. One topic I thought would be kinda cool is "How did you become a Pens fan?" Was it something you were born into(parents, siblings were fans), friends got you watching, maybe the Pens recent success made you a fan...Theres all sorts of ways that people become fans of a sports team. Here's my little story....

I grew up, and still live in a small town about 45 minutes south of Pittsburgh. The year was 1985. I was 7 years old. My sister, who would have been 16, started talking a lot about this Mario guy. She had posters of him in her room and a hockey stick that would appear in various places in the house. At this age, I was a very big Pittsburgh Pirates fan but didnt know a thing about hockey. I remember her friends would come over and their big thing was running into each other then yelling "body check!" I thought they were nuts! Over time, I would watch a few minutes of games here and there when she had them on. I began to know some of the players names and a little about how the sport was played.

Around 1987, at 9 years old, I began playing with a neighbor. He was a couple years older than me. He was a hockey fan and had all the gear-sticks, goalie equipment, a net, ect. His parents were big time hockey fans. It was at this time, I asked my parents for a hockey stick. Almost every day in the summer from here on out, my neighbor and myself would alternate between playing some hockey and throwing a baseball.

In 1989, my neighbors parents invited me to my first hockey game. I had been to lots of Pirates game, but this was much different. The action was much closer, the excitement level much greater. I was hooked. I have to admit, I dont remember a ton about the game other than we played the Minnesota North Stars and the game ended in a tie. I do remember one hilarious moment. In the game, Zarley Zalapski scored a goal. As we were leaving the arena, there was an older asian lady walking beside us. She began screaming "I love my Zarley Zalapski!, I love my Zarley Zalapski!" in a very heavy accent. My friend and I laughed the whole way home.

So that was it, I became hooked on both playing hockey and watching hockey. It's a passion I still have today and I am proud to be a fan of the best organization in professional sports- The Pittsburgh Penguins

So what is your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment