Please visit the Pitts Pens store for all your hockey and Penguins gear

Yard leader

yard badge

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reasons why I am optimistic

Over the past couple weeks, I have been becoming more and more excited about the Pens chances in the 10-11 season. I have put together my top reasons why I think the Pens will win the Stanley Cup...

  • They are rested. After 2 long seasons and long springs, this year they are rested. They have had time to reflect and reenergize. I look for more hop, more explosiveness than I witnessed at times last season.
  • Defense, Defense, Defense...Yes, Gonchar and Eaton will be missed. However, the additions of Martin and Michalek will more than make us forget. These two guys plus our returning core of Letang, Goligoski, and Orpik will make for a very skilled and tough defense to play against
  • A traditional 3rd line...With Staal moving up, the 3rd line will now be a more traditional checking style line. If the group of Talbot, Asham, and Cooke hold up, they will be a thorn in every teams side. I also believe each one can put up between 8 and 15 goals as well. 
  • Power Play..Maybe I'm wrong, but I was extremely happy to see Mike Yeo go. With new PP leadership and a new look, this power play may finally reach its potential. There are still questions, like who's going to fill Gonchars shoes, but I think it will be just fine.
  •  More punch on top 2 lines.. There were no flashy, big name signings in the offseason but the moves that were made look good. Comrie may end up being the steal of free agency. Staal moving up to line 2 with Malkin on his side will allow these 2 to shine. Crosby playing with Dupuis and Kunitz isn't ideal but he has shown in the past he can put up numbers no matter who is with him.
  • Marc Andre Fluery..Although Fluery had a decent season last year, he will be the first to tell you that he has more. And I believe that will come this year. This will be his year
  • Malkin..Malkin may have been hit pretty hard with fatigue last year. From what I've seen so far, he is fresh and ready. Look for him to regain his 08-09 form
  • Crosby..Whats Sid setting his goals on this year?? Whatever it is, I'm sure he will prove again that he is the best all around player in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment